The DataOps CDE is in private preview. Therefore, the service may be unavailable for periods of time. There also may be occasions where elements of the service are rebuilt, and things like your stored credentials are removed, and you will need to re-add. This poses no risk to the rest of DataOps and is completely isolated. As good development practice dictates, whether developing on local machines or Cloud Development Envrionment, never rely on these for safe storage of configuration/code. Always create a new branch before any changes, and regularly commit your changes to this branch.
The DataOps Cloud Development Environment (CDE) gives you a highly optimized Data Development Experience for key DataOps use cases in any browser and with no setup.
The DataOps CDE solves three significant challenges:
- Allow developers to make changes and test those in seconds, not minutes or hours.
- Allow developers to develop in an environment virtually identical to real pipelines where the code will finally run - eliminating the 'well it worked on my laptop' issue!
- Eliminate all the work and hassle of creating and updating local development environments.
It is a ready-to-code environment that follows the basic principles of continuous development environments. For more information, see Principles of CDEs.
As a developer, you may have experienced how annoying it could be to:
- Figure out what tools to install and how to configure them correctly during onboarding on a new project
- Manually set up the dev environment every time you need to start fresh and get a clean slate
- Adjust parts of the dev environment when you need to switch between different versions of a project
- Manually clean up afterward in order not to pollute the local system with any checkouts, dependencies, builds, databases, and the like
- Constantly keep the correct versions of 10's or 100's libraries
DataOps CDE changes the above development workflow by removing friction and improving your experience with the automation, collaboration, and security benefits the cloud provides. Moving from a static local tool to the browser-based DataOps CDE helps you speed up the development process when writing software and experience a faster, more joyful, and more collaborative development workflow. It allows you automatically assemble all the resources you need to create a more robust and flexible ecosystem.
DataOps CDE may not work for customers with Snowflake Private Link, but this is planned for the future. Don't hesitate to get in touch with our Support team for more details.