What is The DataOps Development Environment?
The DDE is in private preview. Therefore, the service may be unavailable for periods of time. There also may be occasions where service elements are rebuilt, and things like your stored credentials are removed, and you will need to re-add. This poses no risk to the rest of DataOps and is completely isolated.
As good development practice dictates, whether developing on local machines, remotely, or in the cloud, never rely on these for safe storage of configuration/code. Always create a new branch before any changes, and regularly commit your changes to this branch.
The DDE (DataOps Development Environment) is a ready-to-code environment that follows the basic principles of continuous development.
It gives you highly optimized data development experience for key DataOps use cases with no or minimal setup, depending on which way you choose to deploy: locally, remotely, or in the cloud. See Deployment Topologies for more information.
In any of its three deployment models, it solves three significant challenges:
- Allows developers to make changes and test those in seconds, not minutes or hours
- Allows developers to develop in an environment virtually identical to real pipelines where the code will finally run - eliminating the 'well it worked on my laptop' issue!
- Eliminates all the work and hassle of creating and updating local development environments
As a developer, you may have experienced how annoying it could be to:
- Figure out what tools to install and how to configure them correctly during onboarding on a new project
- Manually set up the dev environment every time you need to start fresh and get a clean slate
- Adjust parts of the dev environment when you need to switch between different versions of a project
- Manually clean up afterward in order not to pollute the local system with any checkouts, dependencies, builds, databases, and the like
- Constantly keep the correct versions of 10's or 100's libraries
DDE changes the above development workflow by removing friction and improving your experience with automation and collaboration benefits.
The DataOps Development Environment may not work for customers with Snowflake Private Link, but this is planned for the future. Don't hesitate to get in touch with our Support team for more details.